Did you know ...
* that the oldest document in the dialect as spoken in the town of Groningen was written in 1793 on the occasion of a wedding in the Van Bolhuis family?
* that when the Titanic went down three Dutchmen drowned? One of them was Hennie Bolhuis.
* that in a part of the family the office of judge was passed from father to son. Nowaday we see, in certain parts of the family, something comparable with soccer players and soccer coaches.
* that the judge Abel Eppo van Bolhuis in 1719 sued a corpse and at the end of the trial condemned the corpse
* that several persons Klaas Bolhuis existed, but only one of them can be suspected of bigamy. Het kept both spouces well apart by placing the Atlantic Ocean between them.
* that Klaas Bolhuis (a different one), while in hidding in Friesland during WW II was arrested in January 1945 suspected of involvement in an attack on the prison in Leeuwarden. He was released when it turned out that he was confused with somebody else who had participated in the raid.
* another question about the war. A civil servant of Groningen, named Bolhuis, worked as go-in-between for a resistance group Van Schendel maintaining radiocontact with the allied. The group was arrested and Bolhuis served time in Krefelt. He survived. Who is he?
* that about 1785 commanding officers of the cityguard Jannes en Berend van Bolhuis, who were also prominent members of the oppositional political movement, where involved in a shootout with political opponents on the main square in Groningen?
* that Dutchman Dick Bolhuis has grown into an expert in building traditional Indian canoes and won international appreciation doing so?
* that Klaas Jans Bolhuis woke up in the middle of a night in 1860 while a burglar with a knife stood in front of his bed?
* that the school in Kantens was in such a deplorable state that the schoolmaster Jan van Bolhuis had to give the lessons in his house?
* that the townsenator Jacob van Bollhuis Smeding (1858-1938) of Emden (Germany) said to a working woman that when her children were hungry, she should take them to meadows and feed them grass.
* that the captain of the Dutch gentlemen hockey team that became World Champion was a Bolhuis?
* that the captain of the Dutch ladies hockey team that became World Champion was a Bolhuis (I admit: it was not her maiden name)?
* A movie was made about the killing in 1929 of four constables. The murderer was not a Van Bolhuis, which is a pity for the genealogy for it would have made an interesting story, but his mother was!
* that professor Johan Hugo van Bolhuis was killed in a duel in 1844 and that the duel would have been caused by his near sightness?
* that miller Bolhuis was such a strong man that he carried a bag of beans, weighting 280 kg three times around the mill and afterwards he still could whistle the national anthem?
* that in 1942 two children Bolhuis, aged 8 and 6, wandered for 10 days in the Javanese jungle after the Japanese invastion?
* that most Bolhuizen emigrating from Groningen to the States settled in Kalamazoo or Holland (MI), while those coming from East Friesland (Germany) went to Ogle County.
More details and more stories will be found in the genealogy!